Twitter / SageYarn

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Giving Warmth

Is there a chill in the air?

There sure is!

As you plan your fall and winter projects, I wonder if you'd have a few hours to spare to knit or crochet for a good cause...

As I mentioned here on the blog (or maybe the newsletter?) I’ve been trying to get organized for community involvement here at Sage! I’ve contacted Carriage House here in Falmouth and they would love to receive handmade items as donations. They are a non-profit organization & part of the Housing Assistance Corporation on Cape Cod. From their website:

This shelter for homeless families is located in Falmouth, Mass. It specializes in serving first-time mothers and their children. While sheltering is primary, Carriage House also provides an ongoing in-house workshop program, supportive services and linkages to community resources.

In my emails with the director I asked what they could use and if there are any restrictions on what type of yarn, etc. They are not requiring machine wash-only or acrylic-only (which I love!) so you could use ANY yarn. If you have scraps of wool from felting projects - go for it! If you have cottons from dishcloths - it's all good!

She says they can use any kind of baby/child items or things for the moms. Baby hats, mittens, sweaters, booties, blankets - for the Moms scarves, hats, mittens & gloves are great. She also mentioned throw pillows & lap blankets. If you only have time for a basic afghan square, I'll take those! (we can sew them up for you) I imagine that ANYTHING you would want to make would be loved and cherished.

I have had a few hats donated already from a few of you lovely, generous people! My only personal requirement is that you let me know what yarn you used so I can tag it with washing instructions (or you can tag it yourself if you like with a little personal touch :-)

I hope we can help these first-time moms have a nice winter and give them hope for the winters to come!


I’ve also contacted some other local places to donate items if we have an overflow. I’ll keep you updated on what they need/want/require!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too contacted Sage during the summer months re Carriage House. I have already knit several hats,scarves and mittens. I plan to drop them at C.H. before I head to Florida later this season. Keep up the good work - it is always nice to give back. PAS